In 1952, the New York Department of Public Works opened up the Owl’s Head Pollution Control Plant in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn, one of three new plants designed to combat the massive pollution running in and around the city’s public shores.
Visit the WNYC Archives to listen to a dramatization of the construction of the facility.
(Photo: Owl’s Head Pollution Control, N.Y., 1951. New York State Archives. Fairchild Aerial Surveys, Inc. New York office.)